Saturday, April 10, 2010

Same Song Second Verse

I did it again. I worked at the back line of the yard yesterday, and woke up in the night with....wait for it.....

poison ivy.

I can't win. Thankfully, I will only have to wait till Monday to get a steroid shot instead of almost a week to get to the doctor. I know it's stupid but...

What do you do when you are trying to make your back yard look nice, the neighbors give you plants out of their yard to transplant, and the husband's limb clearing doesn't go far enough to suit you, and you are just...crazy driven?! I hope it's all worth it, because the thrift I transplanted looks a little sickly.


The first is at the edge of the yard where the honeysuckle and poison ivy are trying to invade the yard proper. It doesn't look like much but here's hoping eventually it will take root and fill out. If it lives. They gave me some kind of day lilies. Mr. S called them tiger lilies, but I have my doubts about that.



I put some in a pot, just for fun, and some in the front bed. I know it looks really sad right now, but the hostas are just beginning to come up, and we haven't gotten a new batch of mulch put down yet. And they both told me these would spred pretty quickly. I also plan to get a hydrangea and put on the end. I had one there and moved it. Bad decision.

In the back....


Mrs. S called this Standing Phlox. Notice what is behind it.....can you see it? Just a little to the left is my arch enemy. She said to put it in a place where you don't care if it gets big and spreads all over the place.  Hmmm, maybe it will choke out the ivy. I can only hope.
At least the pots on the front porch are beginning to fill out.


Next weekend, J is supposed to bring me rocks to go around the second tree in my back yard. If he follows through, I'll have my work cut out for me putting that together.  I'm hopeful though. We plan to cover the back porch soon, and with the addition of the plants, rock bed and porch, maybe, just maybe my back yard will be something I can enjoy. And I want a nice place for Little Man to play when he gets a little older.

4 comments:

Sooz said...

Ick poison ivy! Richard breaks out something awful if he gets into it. We found that the Poison Ivy spray you can buy next to the round-up works wonders! It kills the vines on the trees and everything without hurting the tree or whatever. Love it!

Y said...

How cool you have neighbors to share plants with you! I can't wait to see the plants in a few months, especially the phlox. Mine originally came from Arkansas, it did great in California and doing terrible here in Georgia. I divided it, moved it, shade, sun...it just doesn't like it here.

FrouFrouBritches said...

I am so jealous! I totally have a black thumb! I kill EVERYTHING!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Hey girl! I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. Come on over to my blog and pick it up when you get a chance.!!