Monday, June 23, 2008

Post-Op Visit

We took Mom to her post-op visit today and she handled it pretty well. That was a good thing since she had a terrible night. Her pain meds were causing some side effects that were uncomfortable, so she stopped taking them. The result was quite a bit of pain during the night and severe nausea. I was very much afraid we were going back to the ER, but I finally gave her pain medicine anyway, and she finally settled down enough to sleep some. At one point, I was laying at the foot of her bed I was so concerned. I believe something else was causing the side effects, but the resident we saw today changed her pain meds just in case. She has one place to the right of her incision that is causing a problem pain wise, and her back is evidently having muscle spasms. Hopefully, she will be able to keep this medication in her system and avoid a repeat of last night's performance.

We still do not know what the pathology report showed, or what her prognosis is. The Surgeon is out of town for a week and the resident was not allowed to share that information. Mom begins her chemotherapy on July 3rd. She will be taking treatment at UAMS every 21 days and they will last 4 to 5 hours. The day after treatment will be pretty hard on her, and the following week will not be a picnic either. She will definitely lose her hair, but she only wants to wear a hat. No wig, no scarf.

She felt well enough to eat at Cracker Barrell, and to take a short trip to J.C. Penney to find a couple of comfortable outfits to wear to chemo treatments. I carried a wheelchair I borrowed from the clinic and it was a chore getting that dinosaur out everytime we went somewhere, then putting it back in. But we do what we must, don't we?

Right now I'm so exhausted I don't think I could sleep if I laid down. But, I have to work tomorrow, so I'd best get to trying. I will be spending tomorrow night and Wednesday night with her, and will leave for work from her house in Rison on Thursday morning.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I know this is so very exhausting. It's like taking care of child to some degree. I'm glad the doctor changed her medicine. This verse popped into my mind as I was typing this. Maybe the Lord put it there for me to share with you. I love the hope found in this verse:

Romans 8:18
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Amen! Love you.

Y said...

Why is it always hurry up and wait with the doctors? I'll be praying you and your mom both get a good nights rest.

Sooz said...

Praying for you..I know your must be completely spent. Hope her new medicine makes her more comfortable so that she will rest more. Chelle's Bible verse made me think of one my mom's best friend always read when she was so sick with breast cancer.
"Cast all your cares and anxieties upon me for I care for you" 1 Peter 5:7

Praying for your strength, peace, and much needed rest! Also for your own back...It has to be miserable picking up that wheelchair and lifting on your mom some.