Friday, October 9, 2009

Catching up on my Proverbs Challenge

I've been doing pretty well in my Bible reading challenge. I've managed to read a chapter of Proverbs every day but one. That one day I was feeling a bit under the weather due to the aftermath of a root canal. I caught it up the next day though. Here are just a few of the verses that jumped off the page at me this week.

4:18- The path of righteousness is like the first gleam of dawn, Shining brighter till the full light of day.

4:23- Guard your heart for it is the well spring of life.(Put boundaries on your desires and don't go after everything you see)

Chapter 5 is basically a call to be faithful to your spouse and to God.

6:16-19 - list of "Things God Hates" Violent people, haughtiness, lying, murdering, scheming, eagerness to do eveil, stirring up dissention, the untruthful, the sacrifice of the wicked, the proud and those who judge unjustly. (These all sound like something someone else would do, not me. But....don't I?)

Chapter 7 is another warning against adultery against your spouse and God.

8:17- I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.

9:10-The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

9:12- If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you.

I'm also working on a Bible study by Angela Thomas called "Living Your Life as a Beautiful Offering" and the one thing this week that made me really think was....

Jesus is the light of the world and we are to work at being like him. We are not to hide our light under a bushel. Ok, I've heard that all my life and even sang that song as a child. This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine... BUT I began to wonder, am I really shining? When people look at me, do they see light? Is the light of Jesus shining through me, or am I walking around with a bushel basket over my head? I don't know if any of us can answer that for ourselves. I think we might need someone else to be honest enough with us to say yea or nay on that. We THINK we know, but do we really?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I've been bad..and after reading yourt post I feel worse. I haven't been reading like I should and even want to....*hangs head in shame*

You did good!