Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In a Whirl Wind

The last several days have been pretty chaotic. SR's great aunt became seriously ill, and was admitted to St. Vincent's in Little Rock for treatment.  She is 94 years young, and there are issues with being that age, but this was a serious thing. Fortunately, she seems to be improving and the doctors (there are several on her case) feel it is a result of an antibiotic that was causing her kidneys to fail, and her bone marrow to cease production of platelets. Scary stuff, I tell you!

I've also been on the phone a lot, trying to coordinate all the doctors that are treating Mom for her multiple issues. Her primary care doctor has been seriously concerned with her blood counts. She has begun chemo treatments, and her renal doctor is unreachable. At first we were pleased with the renal doctor. His bedside manner was great, but the more I thought his lack of explanation, and the less we heard from test results, the less enamored of him I became. It's been a month since Mom saw him, and his office has failed to contact us at all about her blood work, or ultrasound on her kidneys. They have also failed to fill a request from the PCP for a copy of the report of her visit and testing. I called and was not able to speak directly to the nurse, but left a detailed voice mail and asked to be called back. No result.  Having worked in a medical office, I understand they get behind and are busy. But this borders on rediculous.  I am going to call again and see if I can get any result. If not, I doubt we bother with this doctor again. 

Mom saw the rheumatologist this morning, and due to the kidney issues, was unable to receive her 3 month Boniva injection. Fortunately, this doctor is on top of things, and requested labs to check kidney function.  If those levels are better, Mom can start up the Boniva again in 3 months.

In between calling doctor's offices and going to the hospital, I was able to go with LeLe to the OB's office yesterday. I got to hear the heartbeat and meet the doctor. He seems like a fun guy. (That should make labor and delivery interesting.) I was blessed to be included in the visit and I know her mother-in-law will want the same opportunity. It was a short visit, but important to me all the same.  I'm looking forward to after Christmas when I can start focusing on making baby boy things. It makes it a lot more fun to know what gender to plan for.

I was unable to attend my Sunday School Christmas party and I'm sure I missed out on great fun there. But, I hadn't had time to buy the dirty Santa gift anyway, so I guess it's just as well I was at the hospital.

I thought that since I had gotten all my Christmas shopping and sewing/painting done early, the two weeks before Christmas would be relatively calm. It never seems to happen that way. I can't believe it's only a week away now.

If I don't get to post again, let me tell everyone Merry Christmas! I haven't had time to address any cards, so there won't be any this year. I don't normally get but a handful anyway, so I don't imagine anyone will really miss mine. Ha!

1 comment:

Y said...

I'll say in a whirl! Don't forget to come up for air once in a while! ;) Sooo cool beans you got to hear Little Man's heartbeat!!! I'll be saying prayers for great auntie and for your mom's rigamaroll going on. It instills such great confidence when you don't have any communication with the doctor for a month...NOT!