Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Truth Hurts

In my morning devotional, the subject was "What is Love?" And of course everyone uses I Corinthians 13 for a definition. It spoke to me this morning, when I read certain key verses of that passage.

4: Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;

5: does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
.......

7: bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8: LOVE NEVER FAILS.

I wonder how many times I have failed? Or felt the failure of others to show true love? How many times in the past year alone have I moaned about suffering? How many times have I envied someone else? How many times have I been rude or hateful to someone I love? OUCH!Love is the one thing we should be able to depend on in this world.

(italics are mine)

3 comments:

LeLe said...

Good post! We also have to remember that God is love, so he's all of those things and more. We can never be that perfect but it's something to strive for. And when others don't love us with a pure love, it's our duty to love them with that pure love. You know I don't always do that... :(

Les said...

That's a great lesson for all of us!

Michelle said...

Good post, B Lines. It is very hard to love others, and even ourselves, the way Christ does.