Thursday, March 29, 2012

Decisions Decisions

I've been trying to figure out exactly how I want to work up the flower bed in front of my living room window. I knew I wanted Loropetalum bushes...
but couldn't decide what to put on the ends. So, I only purchased the five bushes and brought them home, placing them in the spots I wanted, still in the pots. Hmmmm.... I should have gotten one more. Man! I really hate it when I do something like that! And I didn't want to drive 30+ miles back to Benton to get one plant. So, I planted four of them in between the Hostas.
Again, Hmmmm....not feeling it. So, to Walmart I go. And I find this lovelies.
They are Japanese Holly, commonly known as "Sky Pencil" and I'm diggin' it. Then I look and don't like the space between that and the Hosta. Do I add the fifth Loropetalum? Do I leave it bare and then see a huge empty space this winter when the Hostas are dormant? What to do, What to do?!! My dear friend Y suggested I live with it a while and then decide. She said I could always put a pot there this winter with some mums or pansies. And I lived with it all day long. That was as long as I could stand. I added the fifth bush. And here is what I got.
Aside from the Hosta on the far left being so much smaller than the rest right now, I love the look of the dark purple against the bright green. And when those pencils get a little meat on their bones, I'm going to really enjoy looking at this bed!!  I even added some Sweet Alyssum to the bed and when that takes off (hopefully) it will cascade down and smell heavenly.
I added clumps of "Monkey Grass" around my Oleander tree. I took three pots and split them in half. When it fills in it will look like a fairy ring. *grin*
See that little area to the left? I think it's my favorite spot in the whole yard! And it was just a haphazard fill in to try to camouflage the blocks in the foundation.
LMW loves to pet the little girl and call her "Little Mommy". He thinks she's LeLe I guess. It's so cute.
I absolutely adore the violets! They are enveloping "Little Mommy's" feet. What fun!
I'm almost done with the photos y'all... These are the Dianthus that survived all winter long in one of my pots. I often forgot to water them but somehow they still lived. Every pot I had of them is still blooming. Note to self...plant more Dianthus!

Last one...
 Super LMW to the rescue!! He saw all these pots jailed in the cabinets and had to free them!! Run little pots! Run!! My Hero!!

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You've got a lovely start to your bed - it will be some time for that here - actually has turned cold again.

FrouFrouBritches said...

I am so totally jealous of your flower beds. I am sure we are the talk of the neighborhood because ours are HORRIBLE! I love Hostas, but I kill everything. It's awful. If it doesn't say, "Hey mom, I'm hungry", it doesn't get watered or fed around here. I think your bed looks gorgeous!!! SO TOTALLY JEALOUS!

I love LMW's little cape. So cute! I can't believe how big he is!

Miss Hillbilly said...

You speak all gibberish til that last paragraph. That super boy stuff I get!

Y said...

I find it so amusing how we all stress over gardens when God has birds 'plant' seeds where ever and it all comes out right! Your bed is going to be gorgeous when it fills in. I really like the contrast of the dark purple and bright green, too. I can't wait to see how it all progresses!

Your super hero in his little stocking feet and cape is too cute!

Under Her Wings said...

Isn't gardening such fun? We worked all day outside yesterday. Looking better!