Saturday, July 24, 2010

In Distress

I'm in distress about two of my cedar trees. They are the ones we transplanted from the front of the house, to the back, because the ice would always pull them away from the house. We thought if they were in the ground more solid, instead of up in a raised bed, it might help.

Well.....two of them are thriving. And two are rapidly sinking into a brown crunchy mess.
I believe I know the reason why, but I don't know if it can be reversed. You see, the hubs was trying to get rid of some of the poison ivy that always reaches out to spread it's wicked venom on me. So, he did some high powered spraying. It seems some of it floated onto these two trees. That is the only thing we can think of.
I've watered them every day, sometimes twice a day. And I don't mean I gave them a drink, I mean I saturated the ground around them, even dug out shallow indentions to hold water. And still they get worse. I don't know if there is any way to save them. If anyone of you out there has an idea, I'd be grateful for any advice you might have.
I've thought about maybe cutting them back a little so there would be less of them to need all that water, but I don't know if it would be worth the effort.
And that's not all folks.....

A neighborhood cat decided that one of my rhododendrons would be his new litter box. And this is the result of that....
We've since put a stop to the bathroom issue, but no matter how much I flush this with water, it still looks bad. All the branches are brown, while on my healthy ones, the branches are green. I'm at a loss.

1 comment:

Y said...

A tree nursery, tree doctor or county extension might be able to give you some answers on the tree. Did kitty spray, #1 or #2? Spray and #1, lots of water. #2 ya' gotta 'scoop' and get rid of and then water good. Cats are terrible on the soil!