Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Short Editorial

I am not a very learned person when it comes to economics and how the government uses money. But, from what I can tell lately, no one, and I mean NO ONE is being held accountable for their bad financial decisions. I don't believe the government should be bailing out folks who are making bad choices. Not individuals and certainly not big corporations. Where is the accountability people? I have a great deal of sympathy with homeowners who are looking at foreclosure, but I have to say, I believe many of them over extended themselves in the first place. I noticed how so many young people were buying or building huge HUGE homes. Why do you need that much space for a family of say..oh.. five? How do you sleep with the knowledge that if one of you loses your job, you can't make the house payment? Yes, I have sympathy, but if we all made financial decisions based on what we can afford on one paycheck if it comes down to it, there might be less wailing and gnashing of teeth now.

And I don't believe it's the right thing to do, adding to the national debt, by fixing bad corporate decisions and rewarding those in power who are so wealthy they aren't personally in danger of losing anything. Just saying.

6 comments:

LeLe said...

You're absolutely right. It drives me crazy. I know I've made my own mistakes with money, but sheesh! I'll take care of my own problems...I don't want to be responsible for everyone else's.

LC said...

It's really funny looking at all the for sale signs up here. People bought mansions because they were "rich" and like you stated, now that the economy is belly up and their job is at risk, that nice big house isn't so wonderful anymore! Sad, but true!

Anonymous said...

Preach it sista!
PK

Michelle said...

I agree with you completely. It's never a good idea to make decisions based on what's going on today. You have to look at tomorrow, and the day after...

Sooz said...

I agree...before the economy went to pot I could not understand why anyone my age with only say 1 child would want a huge home. Who wants to clean that up?
I love our little house. And you know with R's job situation right now who knows what will happen. At least I can take comfort in knowing that we are prepared.

Les said...

This is an excellent post! When Matt and I were going through the house buying process, we were astounded at the high loan amounts we were being offered! There's no way I would have taken all of that money. We took what we thought we could easily afford, and now we're very thankful that God gave us knowledge to do that because Matt's hours and pay were recently cut at work. We're thankful that we can still afford our house.