I first wrote this and posted it on my Myspace page blog. I decided I would go ahead and post it here as well so those who don't do the myspace thing could read it.
8 Random Things about me....
Ok, so three of the people I most check out on their blog have done the "8 Random Things" about themselves. I have not created a blog, simply because I didn't really think anyone would be interested enough to read. And I don't know that my life is any way close to being interesting enough to even have something to write. I mean, who wants to read...."Came home from work exhausted. Ate a little supper, read a little book, went to bed."??
So, since the 8 random things is so interesting to me, I decided I would try. It may take a while for me to come up with 8 things worth writing about but here goes...
1. I have a phobia. Actually, I have two. Uh....make that three. First one is most terrifying. Heights. Not only am I afraid of tall mountains or tall tall bridges, but I can't even climb a ladder to access our attic in the garage. Second phobia is the fear of confrontation. I don't seem to be able to defend myself against an attack unless I'm pushed so far, I explode. And then I cry because I actually fought back. Third (and this is the most embarrassing) Driving to a place I've never been, am unfamiliar with, or in heavy downtown Little Rock traffic. Even simple trips to someone's house if I've never been there. Why the fear? I can't explain it. Maybe the fear of making a wrong turn, getting lost, causing someone else driving close to me to be inconvenienced or some such craziness.
2. I am probably more involved in my grown children's day to day life and that of their friends, than the norm. I have no close friends my own age, and I guess I compensate by inserting myself into their daily life whether they like it or not. I read their blogs every day, I check out their Myspace pages every day, and I comment on conversations they are having with each other. I would imagine they roll their eyes at my postings from time to time.
3. I love to paint. Anyone who knows me knows that. And not just painting a picture. I love to paint walls. Solid color walls, faux finish walls, murals... I often wish I had been able to make a career out of it. Living in small town Arkansas does not lend itself to that kind of career.
4. I like to iron. Yes, as in press clothes. Am I crazy? Probably. I think it has to do with taking something wrinkled and ratty looking, and smoothing it out to show how lovely and crisp it can be.
5. I like to cemetery hop. Cemetery hop you say? Not like a bunny, but as in traveling from cemetery to cemetery. Well, only if I have ancestors buried in a particular cemetery. I am into genealogy and headstones give facts. It also gives me a sort of peace, knowing my family lays at rest in a particular spot. Not that their soul is there, but I know where they were last seen....
6. I've been married for 30 years to the young man who began dating only me when I was 15 and he was 20. What in the world did a 15 year old have to offer a grown man? He often says he raised me like he wanted me. And I believe he did to some degree. They say the longer you are married the more alike you become. I can see that happening in little ways. And that's ok. It makes our world a little less spastic.
7. I lived in 7 different states by the age of 12. My father was a career Marine. SEMPER FI!!! Needless to say, I had a bit of trouble in school until we settled in my parents' home town. I look back on my report cards Momma saved and see a lot of D's. Especially in Math.
8. I love people, but often feel lonely. Especially in a crowd. I am not good at small talk. I do ok with family, but at places like church, weddings, ball games... I am uncomfortable.