Saturday, July 14, 2007

3 Day weekends....Blessing or Curse?

I work four 10 hour days. Actually, I get an hour for lunch, so technically, I only work 9 hours. Some days, I do wind up working 10 hours, especially if it's terribly busy. But I get Fridays off. Sounds great huh? And it is, but..... by the time Friday rolls around, I'm so exhausted, I can't enjoy the day. I'm ok on Monday and Tuesday, but I can feel the fatigue beginning on Wednesday and by Thursday night, I'm absolutely worthless. I normally wind up spending Friday sleeping late, and laying around the house recuperating. I get very little accomplished. This Friday, my sister and I took our mother to a doctor's appointment and then did a little shopping. It was a very good day and we enjoyed each other's company. Eventhough I was home earlier than expected, I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch. It's Saturday and I now must force myself to do some housework, grocery shop and cook since I don't cook much during the week. I am beginning to question the whole Fridays off thing. Is it worth it? I don't know. And when the flu season hits again this fall and winter, will I be able to even function at all by Friday?

5 comments:

MJD said...

you know you would never think that a few extra hours each day at work would wear you out, but it does! During fire season we work sometimes 12 hour days and it will wear you out quick...

B Lines said...

Yes MJD, I agree. You would think working inside wouldn't make you so tired, but the mental and emotional stress of working in a busy medical clinic can really wear a person down.

LeLe said...

I was worthless yesterday and Maburn had to coax me off the couch twice to go run errands together. I was not in a very good mood...

Working in the same chair, staring at the same computer, DOES wear me out more than when I was a bank teller. Of course, that was 8 or so year ago, but sheesh. No wonder I need to lose weight!

Sooz said...

I don't like to be at my office one second longer than I have to be each day and I praise God every time we have a 3 day weekend or a few minutes off early. Anything to not be in my office is a blessing...but not everyone works in the kind of conditions we work in. The job is great but the co-workers are HORRIBLE! I'm sure God has a plan and reason for my family being involved there...just wish he would point it out more quickly. Enjoy your Fridays off even if its sleeping in...God knows you need the rest after such long hours!

Michelle said...

I can relate. I worked 3 12hr shifts a week when I worked nights in labor and delivery. And, I worked them back to back. I would always tell myself that I was only gonna take a "nap" after coming off the last 12 of the week, but I was always sooo tired I couldn't help but sleep 8 hours! Working nights didn't help, much, either!