Monday, November 8, 2010

All in a Row

I've decided to list all of my thanks in one post. I think of things I want to list the next day, and then I forget what it was. This way, I can just put them all down at once.

I am on day 8, and already posted that thanks, so I'll start with....

9. My toothbrush. Can't even imagine living without that. I get all yucky feeling when I haven't brushed. I suppose toothpaste should go with that, but I could make do without it, as long as I could brush them regularly. How many people in the world live without a toothbrush, and think nothing of it? It might not be a world issue, but for me it's very important.

10. Doctors of medicine. Lately, I've been seeing lots of doctors. For my blood pressure, for my arthritis, for my neck pain....seems I am borderline candidate for Sjogren's Syndrome, and am now being treated for Fibromyalgia. Can you imagine how miserable I would be if there were no doctors to diagnose my problems, and treat them? I go in today for another ESI, (epidural steroid injection) and I really REALLY hope it helps more than the last one. If not, I'll have to live with the pain in my neck, which is a real pain in the neck!!!

11. My Sunday School class. Our teacher studies hard for us, and the women as a whole participate well, and seem truly concerned about prayer needs and each others lives. It's taken me a while to feel like a part of the class, but I'm finally getting there.

12. My Father. What a man he was. A veteran of Vietnam and Korea. A Marine through and through, but with one of the kindest hearts I've ever known. He was a math wiz, and could create the most beautiful things with wood. He loved his children, and tried to spend as much time with his grandchildren as possible. He did ANYTHING I asked him to. I miss him just as much now as I did when he first passed. It's so hard.

13. Our new pastor. I am amazed every Sunday at what he announces from the Lord. He never makes excuses, he never waters it down. He stands in the pulpit and tells it like it is, like it or not. How refreshing!

14. My Mom. She went to work after being a stay at home mom for 14 years, so we could be involved in school activities. You know they aren't free. There are suits, equipment, dues and fees. With five children to support, she had to help my Dad bring in some much needed revenue.  And because of that, I learned the cooking and cleaning and day to day essentials of taking care of a home. If we wanted to have company over and a clean house, it was up to us kids to make sure the house looked nice. If we wanted clean clothes, it was up to us to do the laundry. We bellyached then, but how wonderful to learn it early on. It has served me well.

15. My sisters. All sisters have their troubles, and their tiffs, but they also have such a strong loving bond. I am so thankful I have my sisters to share my life with. 

16. My Washer and Dryer.....need I say any more?

17. My car. And a new one at that. When my Mom was diagnosed with cancer in 08, we decided I needed something a bit more comfortable than a pickup. So, my loving husband bought me a brand new Hyundai Tucson. And. I. Love. It.  It's small enough that it maneuvers well, but has good space in it.

18. A nice warm/cool home. Not only a roof over my head, but a place to feel safe, comfortable, loved, and creative. I am warm in the winter and cool in the summer with just a flip of a switch. How lucky am I?!!  I have a home that we bought new, and it was so wonderful to have been able to move right in, and not have to repair or remodel. After 9 years, it's beginning to need a little tlc, but it's still strong and firm and safe. Are there things I would change? Definitely, but can I be happy without those changes? Of course. It's my HOME.

19. My computer. How in the world did I function without one so long ago? When I was working at the library 10 years ago...(has it been that long? Sheesh!) we got the first computers around, and I was mesmerized. It was like the computer was a magnet and I was drawn to it whether I willed it or not. I learned so much at that job about the computer. I wish I knew more, but at this point, I don' think my feeble brain could absorb it well enough. But, having the computer has given me so many ideas, so much information I'd have to go to the library to look up, IF they had anything on a certain topic. It's made the creative process sooo much easier at times.
Picture courtesy bing.com

20. My new remodeled back porch. I simply love that place. I love sitting out there and listening to the birds, an watching the ones that are not so skittish of me sitting there. Next Spring I will be so excited to look at the beautiful plants that I hope and pray will be there.

21. My friend in Georgia that I have only been able to spend a short amount of face to face time with, but we still visit almost daily via the internet. Just having someone to vent to, to listen to me, and that I can share my day to day issues with is wonderful. She is always there for me. Even when her computer is reeking havoc, she sends short messages as she can to let me know she's still there and thinking of me. My only regret is that we live so far apart, we can seldom get together.

 Pictures courtesy of bing.com
22. The holiday seasons. Thanksgiving and Christmas.  But I don't like that most folks are beginning to skim over the Thanksgiving part and get right to the Christmas. Here it is November 8th, and my neighbors already have their Christmas lights up.... but back to the thankful part. I love the cooking and family time at Thanksgiving. And I live to give gifts at Christmas. I've gotten to the point where I don't even care if I get anything, as long as I can give. It gives me a purpose and a goal for all the crafts and sewing.

23. I'm thankful we were able to relocate 10 years ago. God blessed us with the selling of our home, giving us the funds to purchase in a new town. It was hard, but it was worth it and we are all much happier, and have been blessed by the move. Things have happened, that never would have if we had stayed in our old place.

24. My Bible. God's Holy Word. Oh, how I would be so lost in this world without His instruction. And to hear how Jesus lived and died. So many in this world have never seen a Bible. It's truly a blessing to own one, and I have several. Some are even put away where you can't see them. Sometimes I am not comfortable with that.


Picture courtesy bing.com

25. And I saved the most important for last. I am thankful that I am saved by grace by the blood of Jesus Christ. The Holy Son of God. The Alpha and Omega. I have hope in Him. I know my Redeemer lives and I will dwell with him forever in Heaven when my time on earth is done. "Oh how sweet to trust in Jesus." Thankful for a God who loved me enough to send His Son to die for my sins. It's just beyond comprehension how God could have sacrificed that much for me, and that His Son would take the pain of my punishment. I am truly thankful.

I hope and pray you have a wonderful holiday season, and that you experience God's joy in the celebration.
Picture courtesy Daniel B. Holeman

Thank you my Lord and my God, for all the many blessings. More than can be contained in a blog.

No comments: