Thursday, August 20, 2009

Impact

A few years ago, First Baptist Church, Sheridan, chose to use Rick Warren's 40 Days of Purpose as a Bible study and Sunday School guide. At that time, I felt it was an assignment, and dutifully read each daily chapter, along with filling in the workbook portion. And the problem was, I considered it just that. An assignment, that I worked through to the finish. I couldn't tell you right now, much if anything about the study.

The mentor I was match up with, in our Woman to Woman Mentoring program, suggested we re-read The Purpose Driven Life as a personal study, and since I still had the book, I agreed. After only 7 chapters, God in His perfectness, has impacted me with a specific truth in each chapter. This is a season in my life, when the "purpose" is making more sense to me. It's very easy to spout words such as "It's not about me." But, it's harder to actually realize that truth, and apply it.

I was born for HIS purpose and not my own. What opportunties have I missed because I was afraid to venture out?

This world is not my home and things I'm longing for may never come to pass. But that's ok, because everything will be perfect when I get HOME.

These are just a few of the truths God has revealed to me so far. It's very hard to hear what I am doing wrong, and realizing the only one who can change it is me. And yet, some of them are comforting in a way.

An issue that has interested me is the thought of judgment when I stand before the throne. Some of the truths in this book, are letting me know that if I don't change some things, I will have even more to feel sorrowful about when I see Jesus face to face. No, I will not be punished, because the wages of my sin are already paid, by the blood of Christ. But, how embarassing to be in front of the King of Kings, knowing I could have done more for Him, could have been more for Him.

I have also struggled lately with figuring out what my specific purpose for this season is. What gifts did God bless me with, that He wants me to use right now? And how does He want me to use them? I'm slowly working on that, trying to step out of my comfort zone and test the waters. My mentor is helping advise and encouraging me with that. I have felt more artistic lately, and have had more drive to create. I don't know if that is to help me do His work, or to bless me. But I know that God uses everything we are for His purpose, if we will only step aside and allow Him to do so.

If you haven't read The Purpose Driven Life, I would recommend it. If you don't want to know the truth, pass on it.

No comments: