Friday, April 17, 2009

Home Again...Jiggity Jig

It has been a long hard week. First order of business:

A shout out to all my peeps on facebook! Thank you so much for your encouraging words and prayers. I really appreciate it.

The story:

Tuesday, Mom and I visited our family clinic due to some ongoing pain and unexplained weight gain and chest pain. Nurse Practitioner said her heart sounded great, and the chest pain could be caused by thyroid issues, so lab was drawn. Since we hadn't had a full body CT scan, nurse ordered that and the following day, we headed out to HSC Med center in Malvern for a ct of the head, chest, abdomen and pelvis. The lab came back with a normal thyroid but very high triglycerides. (must run in the family cause mine are always outrageously high)

Wednesday evening, Mom called me upset because her chest was hurting badly, her head hurt and she was having bouts of feeling flushed, so we took a trip to the HSC ER after I gave her an aspirin. I have to stop at this point and commend the staff at HSC. Eventhough they were dealing with a couple of traumas, they were extremely quick to get Mom back and took excellent care of her. Her ekg was great, the nurse telling her she had the heart of a 16 year old. They had the results of the ct by that time, and nothing showed up in her chest, abdomen or pelvis to cause this kind of pain. It was also a relief to know the cancer had not come back to her pelvic area. The doctor on call, put her in a room for observation.

As soon as Mom learned it was not her heart, she began to relax and feel better. By the time I left at 1:30 a.m., she was in her room and feeling fine but just a little tired. I returned Thursday expecting to see the doctor at some point. Instead, we saw his nurse, who took a great amount of time to talk with us and determine what all was going on and what to tell the doctor. We understood her to say the doctor would be in sometime that day, but she didn't know when. Until that time, Mom could not go home. He would have to see her first. At 9:40 p.m. he still had not come in, so I drove home and Mom spent another night.

This morning, before I made it back over there, the doctor came in and told Mom that he believed her pain was muscular in nature but he commended her on coming to the ER. He told her it was the right thing to do any time you have any kind of chest pain. He wants her see her next week for a follow up.

We are both home now, and tired does not come close to describing what I feel. I've been texting my siblings a lot, and for some reason, the phone service held one text back from one of them, and at 3:30 a.m. I was awakened by a text message I should have received early last evening. I was NOT happy, but was so disoriented that I automatically answered it. So, my sister probably got a reply at 3:33 a.m. Sorry about that Sister #1.

Anyway, all is well for now. We have a follow up appt at the clinic next Friday. And we also have a follow up appointment with Mom's oncologist on Monday afternoon.

Thanks again for your prayers and concern. They are very very much appreciated.

1 comment:

Sooz said...

Glad your mom is home. Its always best to be safe with chest pain than sorry. Hope you get some much needed rest this weekend.