Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Going Through

The weekend was spent going through my Mom's closets and drawers, etc. I dreaded the job for days, but my siblings and I planned to do it together, so I followed through. Sometimes there are petty squabbles and arguments in situations like this, but we didn't have any of that. PRAISE GOD! We all got along very well, always allowed the others a say in what was done and who got what. We actually had a good time together and it did my heart so good.

We didn't get it all done, there was no way we could have in two days, but we got a lot of it taken care of. Going through her stuff was comical at times, and frustrating at others. She was a hoarder, and I hope to goodness I don't leave that much stuff for my kids to have to deal with. She had much of what my grandmother left as well as her own stuff, so it was like going through two people's things.

We all came away with things we wanted, and some we didn't really want, but didn't want to get rid of...(Us hoarding? Nah.) And I wound up with some things that will be perfect in my bedroom when I finish the redo. (I'm making progress on that, but not enough to suit me.)



I can vividly remember the above items being in my grandmother's house when I was growing up. They aren't worth a whole heck of a lot, but they mean a great deal to me and I am going to LOVE having them in my bedroom.  I never realized the vase was actually a calla lily until I brought it home. SCORE!

My siblings laughed at me when I said I liked the piggy. I am in love with it and have it on my kitchen sink. The other vase I never really noticed but decided I liked it enough to bring home.


These shoes were mine when I was a toddler. We found them in a trunk at the foot of Mom's bed. Wow. 
We also cleaned out her "Christmas House". She had a shed dedicated to her Christmas decorations. I brought home a few things, but one of my sisters had two truck loads of the stuff. She will obviously carry on the tradition! We were absolutely amazed at how much was packed into that shed.

It was an exhausting weekend, but a productive one. There were other things I brought home, but the best part about it all was the time spent with my siblings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad to hear that it was productive, and it sounds like there was laughter involved. i can't imagine how hard it is to clean out your parent's house. what beautiful vases and bowls! and i think the piggy is adorable, too :-)

good to hear from you, b.

FrouFrouBritches said...

I know it must be hard going through all of your mom's stuff. I am glad y'all all got some stuff to remember her by. It's all pretty, but my favorite thing is your little shoes. So sweet!