Thursday, May 21, 2009

Simple Pleasure

There really aren't a lot of interesting things to blog about when you are "retired". That is unless your spouse is also retired and you both travel or do exciting things. I have discovered that I am happy with simple pleasures. (Well, to be honest, I always thought I would be.) That is not to say I wouldn't love to do some traveling, but SR is not a traveler and is very content to spend his free time puttering around the house.

I have agonized over what I should do on a daily basis. I thought that if I was blessed enough to be able to stay home, I should be accomplishing some huge something. I haven't been able to do that, and for a while it really bothered me. After being here for a few months now, I find that it's ok if I don't accomplish something newsworthy.

I have learned to sleep in. It was unintentional, but it feels really nice.

I enjoy being able to spend quiet time with the Lord and not feel rushed.

I enjoy simply sitting in the yard and listening to the wind, and watch the birds.

I enjoy watching HGTV. Or most of it.

I enjoy reading.

I enjoy having supper done or nearly so when SR comes in from work. He, by the way, mentioned yesterday, how much he enjoys that.

I enjoy walking around the yard and looking at the blooms and plants I set out.

I enjoy sprucing up things in and around the house that need a little tlc.

I enjoy email (I always have) and I admit I am almost addicted to facebook. I'm trying to curb that. I also love reading blogs and check them almost daily. Another addiction to be worked on, I suppose.

I do get bored from time to time, and I also get lonely.

I found myself quite happy yesterday, to simply get out and buy groceries, run errands and go to the library. I stopped to visit with a couple of friends at their work places and was almost giddy. I know that sounds rather lame, but it's true.

There are always down sides to being at home, but for the most part, it's wonderful. It may be boring to anyone else to read, but it is what it is.

After thinking about it, I think I have accomplished something monumental. To myself anyway.


PEACE

2 comments:

LeLe said...

I'm jealous...

Les said...

I'm about to be right there with you! Definitely looking forward to summer.