Thursday, April 17, 2008

As Promised

My other success I spoke of was finally, after about two years, finding the antique bed I wanted. After hunting antique shops all over the area, I drove by a new little place in Sheridan and it was standing out front of the shop, just waiting for me.



It's what I have referred to as a "Paneled Headboard" and maybe you can see the detailing in the photo below.




I'm told it's made of chestnut, a tree that has been long extinct, so it must be a very antique thing. It smelled so old, I was almost giddy. Believe me, I know how weird that sounds, but for an antique lover, there is a certain smell to a really old piece of furniture. I learned of it in childhood, when my parents and grandparents purchased antique pieces. Guess I inherited their love of all things antique. That smell often takes me back to my childhood memories. Very pleasant ones too.

3 comments:

LeLe said...

Whenever you buy your step stool to get in the bed, I want you to post a picture of that. Haha.

Sooz said...

That bed is really beautiful! What a great find!

Y said...

You finally found your bed!!! It's beautiful! I know the smell you're talking about. Sets me off on dreaming what it was like back when. Too bad old pieces can't talk to tell their stories!