Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I'm in a Hurry and Don't Know Why

I am the type of person who goes at breakneck speed when I'm working. I can't figure out how to slow down and relax while I'm trying to get something done. I find myself breathing hard and fretting until the job is finished. Even at work, it's like I MUST get this done so I can move on to the next thing that I MUST get done. Even when I'm doing some mundane task at home, like cleaning the tub. Man, if I'd just slow down, I'd probably do a much better job, and it wouldn't seem so hard. I make myself so tired doing that. I envy people who seem to just take their time, not get too fretful about it, and get it done just the same.

I must take after my mother. There was a time a few years back when our family was helping my sister in her catering business. My mother was in such a hurry when we were cleaning up, that she would load her arms full of breakable dishes, and almost run to the kitchen. Needless to say, several things were broken. I can't shop with her because it's as if she is race walking through the mall. I'm worn out before I even get to the second store.

Having shared that, I have to admit I'm ready for Christmas. I know! It's not even Halloween yet! I've purchased a scrub jacket with Santas all over it. Bright red. Woo hoo. Can't wait to wear it. I've always liked Christmas and giving gifts but not the shopping part. The kids are older now, so I don't have to buy so many. I spend about as much, but their "toys" are more expensive. ;)

The older I get, the faster time goes too. I guess that's true for everyone. I can remember when time crawled. That must be about 100 years ago or so, when I was a wee lass.

4 comments:

Sooz said...

This sounds like my own mother. She is constantly in a hurry and has zero patience. I am her complete opposite even if I do favor her in looks.
I am excited about Christmas also and driving people with my countdown clock on my blog.

B Lines said...

I love your countdown clock Sooz!

Les said...

Mrs. B.,
I'm the same way. I absolutely can't take a break or slow down until whatever I'm working on is finished. I get a lot accomplished, but I'm usually worn out by the time I'm finished.

Michelle said...

I do that too!